Friday 1 February 2013

Authentic Teriyaki Beef

Konnichiwa my fellow bloggers! I luuuuuuuurve Japanese food but I was never game enough to cook this cuisine myself. I was, shamefully, a bit of a xenofoodie (fear of cooking foreign food). I thought the ingredients would be hard to come by and I believed I'd be slaving away in the kitchen for hours, only to end up with a failed attempt at a Japanese dish. I was oh so wrong, the thing is guys and gals, their dishes are so quick and easy to make and you'll find most of the ingredients in the asian section of your local supermarket. So without further ado, let's get cooking.





What you need

600grams of lean beef topside roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (asian section of supermarket)
1/4 cup sake (can use dry sherry)
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil

Slice beef thin, this is so it can cook through before the Teriyaki sauce becomes too thick
In a bowl combine soy sauce, mirin, sake and caster sugar and stir with a fork until sugar has fully dissolved    


Add beef to sauce and refrigerate for 2 hours, this ensures the flavours infuse into the meat.

Fry until meat browns. Serve immediately with steamed Japanese rice.

どうぞめしあがれ  (bon appétit).

2 comments:

  1. Where would one purchase this folk you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you phoebe for noticing my spelling error :)

      Delete